Polytetrafluoroethylene, is a thermoplastic polymer that was accidentally discovered in 1938. Perhaps best known for its use in coating “non-stick” frying pans, PTFE has a wide range of commercial uses. One such use is as a self-lubricant plug material in cast bronze bushings and wear plates. PTFE is a white solid at room temperature. Plugs of this solid lubricant can be utilized in bronze bearings for it’s number of advantageous properties. These properties include:
- Ultra-low coefficient of friction (one of the lowest coefficient of frictions of any solid material)
- Corrosion resistance in wet, dirty environments (PTFE is non-reactive, partially because of the strength of carbon-fluorine bonds. This allows it to be unaffected by reactive and corrosive chemicals.)
- Ability to be exposed to sea water and marine environments.
- Ability to remain solid over a wide range of temperatures (-450° F to + 620° F)
Many application have incorporated PTFE plugged bronze bearings in their construction. Examples are:
- Hydraulic Turbines
- Ship Propellers
- Boatyard Equipment
- Off Shore Platform Equipment
- Gas Turbines
- Hydropower Machinery
Here at National Bronze Mfg. we can manufacture various shapes and sizes of cast bronze bearings with PTFE plugs. From plain sleeve bearings to flanged bearings even wear plates, PTFE plugs can help extend the service life of bronze products for specific environment. For more information on how PTFE plugged bronze components can help you project, contact us via the link below.